Neufoundland

Friday, March 16, 2007

milford - take two

the finest walk on earth.

day i
set out with a lighter pack - previous gear minus a few uncalled for items such as a towel. got some extra thermals, a cup, soup and some tea. the only thing i could leave at home next time is a book, but i might go crazy.

took a bus, then a cruise. met up with a group of three israelis who i had spent the previous day with. we walked for 1.5 hours, got to a hut. walked to catch the view but it started raining. later that day the hut warden gave us a wetland tour. we saw dead stoats. much fun was about.

day ii
woke up early. too early. got some breakfast and set off towards the next hut. between me and the hut were 16km of bush, snow and rain. i started walking in the bush, the future unknown. after 45 minutes you could see the mountains around clinton valley. they were covered with snow. it was totally awesome. as i continued walking some of the bush around me was covered in frost, which slowly turned into bush covered in snow. i reached the first avalanche zone. avalanche zone are under avalnche paths, where avalanches from the mountains around the valley reach terminal velocity and explode upon reaching the ground, causing much mess and resulting in tree free zones. my gear started failing - i was freezing inside my raincoat, my hand were very cold inside my damp gloves and i was two miles from the nearest shelter where i could put on my fleece. these were some very long two miles, which i spent mainly freezing my ass off. i reached a shelter, and after some struggle [try zipping up with frozed hands] i managed to get my fleece and coat back on.] tried eating but i was too0 cold to remain in the shelter. on i put my pack and off i went, munching on philadelphia tortillas.

the last two miles of the day were covered with snow. a lot of trees were blocking the path, laden with snow. i had to crawl through or jump over.

i caught up with the americans who set off before me and we reached the next hut together. it was empty and cold and i proceeded to change into my dry clothes and get warmed up. it did not really work. i crawled into my sleeping bag to get warm, slept a few hours, and ate some dinner.

day iii
walked up a mountain in up to a foot of snow. got lots of icy water inside my shoe. lost the sensation in both of my feet. i was sure i was going to lose them to forst bites, but after going over the pass we decended into amazingly beatiful and warm rainforest. there were two waterfalls with the bluest water surrounded by trees.

the track led to a 520-something meters high waterfall. quite a nice shower i got there, trying to go behind the waterfall. the wind and the chill of the water set me off my path and i returned to safe land, drenched but happy.

got to the last hut. saw a dead possum. was bored to death by the hut warden and off to bed i went.

i cannot really describe how fucking amazingly beautiful that day was.

day iv
set off late. had to walk fast for 6 miles. got to a stunningly beautiful waterfall. blue water, bush, pretty big leap. walked another 5 miles to sandfly point along the shore of a river. that last 5 miles were amazing - the river beside me, foggy mountains above, reflections in the water etc... etc... i was not very happy to finish the tramp. it was the best thing i have done in new zealand so far. but soon [although not too soon. i had to drag myself the last couple of miles. walked li ke a zombie] i got to sandfly point and had to wait for the boat which was almost an hour late.

today i went to queenstown. it was awesome to see so much people and civilazation after 12 days in te anua. my hostel stinks. i thought not doing any of the expensive stuff in queenstown is going to be hand, but i cannot see most of it so it's not a challenge.

i have to admit, i've finally got a pair of crocs today - i have blisters all over my feet from walking in wet boots for three days. my little toes are all swollen and pink. even my runners won't do. i suck :")

random thoughts - i am too young to go to new zealand. this place is breathtaking. where else can i go after new zealand? maybe canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home